Monday, July 21, 2008

Leblon Cachaca and the Caipirinhas

Yes, it sounds like a band name, but is in fact, my new favorite summertime cocktail.

Leblon Cachaca (ka-SHA-sa) is a sugarcane liquor that can only be produced in Brazil. It differs from rum in that it is not made of molasses, but from fresh cane juice, fermented to produce a liquor similar in texture, alcohol content and taste to vodka, but with very subtle fresh and fruity aromas absent in vodkas.

I have been muddling drinks at home, but the Leblon Cachaca came with a far superior muddler than I had been using and is now a permanent fixture in my bar.

The Caipirinha is the national drink of Brazil, made on a base of muddled lime and sugar, a shot of cachaca and whatever other ingredients your heart desires. This is a fun drink, not only because of the creativity involved, but that you can use pretty much whatever you have around to make a new concoction. My favorite is the mint caipirinha.

How to make a Mint Caipirinha:

1. Muddle 4 lime wedges, 2 mint leaves and a teaspoon of sugar in a rocks glass.

2. Fill the glass with ice and pour a shot of Leblon Cachaca over it.

3. Shake in cocktail shaker.

4. Drink up!

So easy! I have fallen in love with the possibilities of variation on this cocktail and will be hosting a make-your-own-caipirinha birthday party next month.

I picked up my bottle of Leblon at Kings Liquors on Berry St. More ideas for recipes can be found here.

They are running a pretty slick advertising campaign right now and although I usually tend to shy away from such things, have been delighted with the product so much, I had to spread the word to you fine people.