Saturday, June 2, 2007

A modern spin on the Salty Dog

Distilled

I just love exotically flavored carbonated beverages, this concoction was a simple combination of my Jamaican favorite, Ting, a grapefruit flavored soda and my old stand-by, vodka. For this particular cocktail, I used a rather large highball glass, rimming it with just a touch of kosher salt, splashed a generous amount of vodka over ice and finished it off with a pour of Ting.

The tanginess of the grapefruit conceals the alcohol and the saltiness on the rim is a nice counterpoint to the sweetness of the fruit soda.

I used Tito's vodka, made in Austin, TX. It is five times distilled and the best quality vodka available at that price point. Of course, when I've got a little extra cash to spend, I always prefer Ciroc, Ketel One or Grey Goose.

There have been no outstanding wines lately, but you know that YOU will be the first to know.

Salut

No comments: